[GNC] Location of GnuCash data files

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 31 12:29:48 EST 2018

Under "Uddating advice", I believe Finbar Mahon wrote:

> On reading it I see that what is missing is how to find where the
> gnucash file is saved.  The problem is that where it is was specified
> by yourself when you first saved your accounts file.  Just as it is if
> you save a word processor document for example, so the wiki assumes
> you remember where that is.

True enough, and a couple of people have suggested how to find a file.

But word processors typically DON'T put dozens of log files in the same directory or folder as the actual document. Because Gnucash does, when someone naively saves a Gnucash data file to her desktop, it's almost immediately cluttered with log files. The same was true when I naively saved my first GnuCash file to the same folder as my financial spreadsheets -- relatively quickly they were buried under a blizzard of log files. (Granted, I'm exaggerating a bit, for effect.)

I understand the usefulness of the log files, but why aren't they written to the temp folder? Or better yet, why aren't they written to a user-specified location, with the temp folder as default?

--
Stan Brown
the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
https://BrownMath.com