[GNC] Location of GnuCash data files

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Mon Dec 31 12:46:55 EST 2018

On 12/31/18 9:29 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> Under "Uddating advice", I believe Finbar Mahon wrote:
>
>> On reading it I see that what is missing is how to find where the
>> gnucash file is saved.  The problem is that where it is was specified
>> by yourself when you first saved your accounts file.  Just as it is if
>> you save a word processor document for example, so the wiki assumes
>> you remember where that is.
> True enough, and a couple of people have suggested how to find a file.
>
> But word processors typically DON'T put dozens of log files in the same directory or folder as the actual document. Because Gnucash does, when someone naively saves a Gnucash data file to her desktop, it's almost immediately cluttered with log files. The same was true when I naively saved my first GnuCash file to the same folder as my financial spreadsheets -- relatively quickly they were buried under a blizzard of log files. (Granted, I'm exaggerating a bit, for effect.)
>
> I understand the usefulness of the log files, but why aren't they written to the temp folder? Or better yet, why aren't they written to a user-specified location, with the temp folder as default?

This sounds like an idea that needs to be filed as an enhancement
request.  I'd suggest an alternative might be to create two sub-folders
in the folder where the data file is stored:

 1. ./GnuCash-Backups
 2. ./GnuCash-Logs

That would keep them from cluttering up the main folder but be readily
at hand and easily identifiable.  Of course, I've used *Nix style paths
but the idea should port to Windows (I don't know Mac).

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com