Copying transactions from an account to the general ledger

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Feb 6 12:54:19 EST 2018

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:15 AM, Mike Donovan <donovan.michael.g at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Having recorded many transactions to the cash account, I would like to copy these to the GL (which has no transactions currently) and then use the GL for recording all future transactions. Can this be done? Thanks.

GnuCash doesn’t have a GL as a separate account. There’s a General Ledger register view (Tools>General Ledger; afterwards use View>Filter By... to select the date range displayed)
that shows all transactions sorted by date and in split view; this is the same view that you get if you run Edit>Find... from the Accounts page.

Assuming that the transactions that you recorded in the cash account were in fact cash transactions and that you want to track your cash balance (GnuCash’s “common accounts” template includes a “Cash in Wallet” account for this purpose) then you’re doing the right thing.

You don’t want a GL account that isn’t associated with a particular actual account or physical location of currency (e.g. cash in my wallet, cash in wife’s wallet, cash in wall safe, etc.); you’ll just wind up with an unbalanceable mess.

Regards,
John Ralls