Copying transactions from an account to the general ledger

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Tue Feb 6 17:12:03 EST 2018

On 2/6/2018 12:15 PM, Mike Donovan wrote:
> Having recorded many transactions to the cash account, I would like to copy these to the GL (which has no transactions currently) and then use the GL for recording all future transactions. Can this be done? Thanks.
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Review the intro to double entry bookkeeping.

a) The cash account IS a ledger account.
b) Each transaction you entered (entering from the cash account) had
ANOTHER (at least one other) account associated with it, the other side
of the transactions. If you did not specify that other account, gnucash
used the account "Imbalance" as a (temporary) default account. You need
to FIX each of these (change to the correct account)
c) Gnucash only has a ledger. The journal is virtual (you can run a
report that will show it to you).

Michael D Novack