Changing GTK theme or UI Font on macOS

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Feb 6 17:24:55 EST 2018

> On Feb 6, 2018, at 12:51 PM, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I started playing around with using a different theme than Raleigh for my GTK apps. I’ve managed to install gtk-chtheme via Homebrew along with a couple of themes and their required engines. I can select the theme with gtk-chtheme, but GnuCash doesn’t seem to use it. Inkscape does however. I haven’t yet tested 2.7.x so it may be a GTK version issue. I did note that Inkscape uses XQuartz and GnuCash does not, so there might be something there.
>
> I also tried using a RC file (~/.gtkrc-2.0.gnucash) to set a custom font, but it doesn’t seem to honor that either. The Register preference: Don’t use GnuCash built-in colors, seems to have no effect other than to change the color scheme. (the stylesheet customizations don’t seem to use other fonts either, but I can change font size)
>
> Has anyone successfully managed either customization on a Mac?
>
> I’m presently using El Capitan, if that’s an issue. I’ll be upgrading to Sierra soon though.

This works for me to set a font:

style "font"
{
  font_name = "Baskerville 12"
}
widget_class "*" style "font"

Homebrew-built engines won't link with the libgtk-quartz.dylib in GnuCash unless you tailor the build so that it matches what's in the GnuCash bundle (same versions, -arch i386) then change the install names of all the dependencies to point at the libraries in the bundle.

You're likely to have better luck with the Gtk3-based 2.7.4 because theming in Gtk3 doesn't use engines.

Regards,
John Ralls