Accounting rules

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 12:09:21 EST 2018

Sorry, I'm not using my usual mail software and forgot to reply to the
list. I'm copying this for posterity, my apologies Bert for the duplicate
message.

------------------
I suppose the term 'exploit' then was the most concise and precise choice.
It just wasn't what I guess I was thinking of in this context at first.

Certainly, speak to a local accountant for specific recommendations for
your situation, especially with respect to the cash portion of the business.

With respect to Gnucash, you'd probably want to set up 2 liability
accounts, one for each VAT.

Liabilities:VAT Payable:Low
Liabilities:VAT Payable:High

(optionally include the rate in the name, but that depends on how often it
is likely to change)

This way you can track which one you owe and can post invoices/transactions
to each one separately.

For the income/revenue accounts you could get specific and have one for
each type of equipment or keep it generalized. Since you earn money from
both using equipment directly and renting, you could put the equipment
first in the hierarchy.

Income:Carousel:Operations
Income:Carousel:Rentals
Income:Train:Operations
Income:Train:Rentals
Income:Food Carts:Operations
Income:Food Carts:Rentals

Optionally, you could make the Operations and Rentals as the higher level
accounts and place each type of equipment under them.

Income:Operations:Carousel
Income:Operations:Train
Income:Operations:Food Carts
Income:Rentals:Carousel
Income:Rentals:Train
Income:Rentals:Food Carts

Either method will allow you to produce reports specific to each type of
income and each type of equipment. The second method is probably easier to
use because of the way accounts are selected in the report options and is
probably more commonly used since you are more likely to want to see for
the business overall where your revenue is coming from and then only later
get specific with details of which attractions and locations are profitable.

I'd use the transaction memos for including the location to use as a report
filter. There is also an action field on the left of the transaction just
to the right of the date (under the NUM field) You could repurpose this to
hold a simple weather term like 'sunny' 'cloudy' or 'rainy' etc. That field
should be available as a filter as well.