gnucash-user Digest, Vol 179, Issue 34

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at hyperbola.info
Sat Feb 10 07:30:36 EST 2018

> wonder whether there is not much better software for
> topic discussions where each thread has its
> original title and the discussion of
> each topic is separate using
> dated messages, and
> author names in
> a clear format.

If I recall correctly, email already does what you want. The problem
seems to be the option that the person selected in their subscription
options to this mailing list.

> The message board systems I've encountered have this extra clarity.
> Are there no free ones?

Forums would only make stuff complicated unless there is a way to reply
by email directly to the email responsible for managing the forum topic,
and also most importantly: if the forum is not behind a wall of non-free
autonatically-executed client-side software writen in JavaScript (search
for "gnu javascript trap" for more information), which happens to
exclude most forum software.

I once *heard* that GNU Mailman version 3 has forum-like interface but
with proper mailing list integration. We are using GNU Mailman, but not
the last version, and I don't know why. I know little about the
internals of GnuCash project's infrastructure because I'm just a user.

Back to the problem of digests:

For those who are currently receiving digests: if you don't know how to
deal with them, or is like me (who doesn't want to bother
separating/looking for the right metadata in order to answer a message),
then I have a hint that will make everybody's life easier: Disable
digest in your subscription options.

Alternatively, the digest message itself says what you should do in
order to reply properly, this also includes changing the "Subject"
field/header of your message so as to match the one you are replying
(unless of course you want to start a new topic coming from that same
thread), so unless you don't understand it or don't want to deal with
this reply method: disable the digest and go back to one email message
per reply.

Now an advanced hint for those who decide to keep using the digests: it
also helps if you copy the value of the original message's "Message-ID"
field/header and insert it as the value for a field/header called
"In-Reply-To". Good email client software should be able to provide a
way for you to insert any field/header, not just "To", "Cc" or "Bcc".

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com