Price Retrieval Failure, Part 2

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Feb 10 11:30:30 EST 2018

Op zaterdag 10 februari 2018 16:38:58 CET schreef John Ralls:
> > On Feb 9, 2018, at 9:52 PM, D <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to be replying to my own message, but it also occurs to me that, in
> > addition to Gnucash, Finance::Quote gets installed. Given that my
> > troubles in this instance are intimately linked to F::Q, what steps might
> > I take to ensure that IT gets removed as well?I
> >
> > David
> >
> > On February 10, 2018, at 10:49 AM, D via gnucash-user
> > <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
> >
> > John,
> >
> > Thank you for clarifying. I'll note that Gnucash does put stuff into
> > ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash as well, so there is at least one
> > thing that gets installed.
> >
> > I asked this question because I am still observing several
> > "idiosyncrasies" on my system that no one else seems to be experiencing
> > (such as this retrieval problem and my ongoing inability to get custom
> > reports to load). Because I am experiencing such problems, it suggests a
> > problem unique to my computer, and I was looking for a way to ensure that
> > I was starting with a truly clean slate.
> >
> > If I delete Gnucash.app and move (or delete) ~/Library/Application
> > Support/Gnucash, will that create a completely empty Gnucash environment,
> > or is there another system location that needs cleaning?I
> David,
>
> GnuCash writes stuff to ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash when it runs,
> mostly to save state but also to save things like saved report
> configurations. It also writes out your data files and their associated
> logs to wherever you tell it to. Where do you draw the line for what’s
> “installation”?

Warning: more technical consideration ahead!

This is probably why XDG proposes a user_data_dir and a user_config_dir. The
former is for the application to store any user data (like window sizes and
positions, saved reports,...), the latter should be for files such as
config.user, log.conf and any custom reports written  by the user. Gnucash can
do whatever with the files in the former, but should never alter anything in
the latter.
Unfortunately the XDG specification doesn't seem to map very well to the way
OS X handles things, where both types of data are stored in Library/
Application Support/<application-name>
And also on Windows gtk maps both locations on one directory.

However in all cases it surprises me gnucash would remove config.user or files
it didn't add there by itself from the Application Support directories. If
this is really the case, that would need changing.

Geert