One account for both Income and Expenses possible?

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Sat Feb 10 23:22:43 EST 2018

I am a complete newcomer to GNUcash, using version 2.6.19 on Windows 10.

My name is Norbert, living in the countryside in Cambodia.

This is my first posting.

Apologies for my very simple question. I would appreciate to get help.

I live on a farm – we produce, sell, and buy vegetables, fruits, and
handicrafts.

When I set up a GNUcash system it created an Expense and an Income
section, and under them I created specific accounts and sub-accounts.

When I now enter something like “Selling vegetables” I can enter the
price under “Charge/Income” into Income. - When I enter something like
“Buying vegetables” I can enter the income under “Expense/Rebate” into
Expenses (and as a double-entry to Cash, increasing or decreasing).

The same for fruits, and for handicrafts.

But could I instead set up an account “Vegetables” where I can enter
both BOUGHT Vegetables and SOLD Vegetables? (same for fruits and
handicrafts)

When I tried to create such an account, I can select only ONE Account
Type: Expense or Income.

Please kindly advise.

Norbert