One account for both Income and Expenses possible?

Jeff Abrahamson jeff at p27.eu
Sun Feb 11 02:15:56 EST 2018

On 11/02/18 05:22, Norbert Klein wrote:
> I am a complete newcomer to GNUcash, using version 2.6.19 on Windows 10.
>
> My name is Norbert, living in the countryside in Cambodia.
>
> This is my first posting.

Welcome, Norbert.

> I live on a farm – we produce, sell, and buy vegetables, fruits, and
> handicrafts.
>
> [...]
> When I now enter something like “Selling vegetables” I can enter the
> price under “Charge/Income” into Income. - When I enter something like
> “Buying vegetables” I can enter the income under “Expense/Rebate” into
> Expenses (and as a double-entry to Cash, increasing or decreasing).
>
> [...]
>
> But could I instead set up an account “Vegetables” where I can enter
> both BOUGHT Vegetables and SOLD Vegetables? (same for fruits and
> handicrafts)

It depends what you want to do.

When you sell vegetables, you are making a transfer from an income
account to (probably) a cash or bank account.
When you buy vegetables, you are making a transfer from a cash/bank
account to an expense account.

So that cash/bank account is a common account where you see both.  If
your goal is ease of entry, for example, that one account is the place
to do it.

Alternatively, you can construct reports where you see only vegetable
income and expense transactions (if you have dedicated expense and
income accounts for vegetables).  I'm a bit new to gnucash, and I
haven't fully explored the report functions.  But an appropriately
filtered income/expense report should be possible.

But maybe that's not what mean.  Maybe you can let us know what need you
want to satisfy this way.

--

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57