Capital Gains posting in newly imported data from quicken

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 06:26:26 EST 2018

snrm,
It has been a long time since I migrated from Quicken, but I know that my biggest headaches came from how Quicken did (or didn't) handle gains.
That said, gnucash includes a lot management tool that you can use to generate gains transactions. It is far from perfect, however.
For example, when you scrub an account, it will create lot-based gains transactions, but these all link to IMBALANCE accounts, requiring you to modify them  (although I guess you could create them and then mass move them by deleting the imbalance account. ...).
Additionally, the results don't always match what gets reported to taxing authorities, due to differences in handling fees and commissions.
If it were me, I'd use the lots, but double check the results closely.
David

  On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 14:35, snrm<sandiprm at hotmail.com> wrote:   I have just imported last 8 years data from my quicken into gnucash
successfully and seem to have gotten my Accounts hierarchy proper.

I notice that most of my balances are tallying, but not the capital gains.
How do I populate the LTCG and STCG's account heads for each year?  Do I
have to individually post the gains by selecting Lots for each and every
scrip, from day one, by comparing the lot selections with my quicken data?
It seems very tedious and time consuming to do so.  Is there some faster but
foolproof way of doing this?

Thx and Regards

snrm