How to export structure without transactions?

Fran_3 mailbox0600 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 18:54:43 EST 2018

 My concern was if we 'import' all the 2017 transactions it will mess up the balances... but I guess they will all just sit in checking assigned to no account.
We just thought it would be cleaner to have a separate 2017 file...
I'm going to post another question sorta relative to this so stand by.
Thanks,
Fran3

    On Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 6:48:54 PM EST, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

 On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:

> We have setup a gnucash file for 2018 and created all our customer and
> vendor accounts... plus customized the chart of accounts... and entered
> all the transactions to date. Now we want to do 2017.

> Is there a way to export the structure leaving the vendors, customers, and
> customized chart of accounts in place so we can begin populating for 2017.
> Thanks for any help.

Fran3,

  Were I you, I'd just start entering your 2017 data (in any order) and
GnuCash will place it appropriately by date. That's what I did when I
switched both business and personal books to gnucash in 2017, I entered all
the 2016 data when I had the time.

  There's no particular advantage to keeping separate books when you have
sufficient disk space available and can specify date ranges for all reports.

Happy bookkeeping,

Rich