How to export structure without transactions?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 14 18:48:23 EST 2018

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:

> We have setup a gnucash file for 2018 and created all our customer and
> vendor accounts... plus customized the chart of accounts... and entered
> all the transactions to date. Now we want to do 2017.

> Is there a way to export the structure leaving the vendors, customers, and
> customized chart of accounts in place so we can begin populating for 2017.
> Thanks for any help.

Fran3,

   Were I you, I'd just start entering your 2017 data (in any order) and
GnuCash will place it appropriately by date. That's what I did when I
switched both business and personal books to gnucash in 2017, I entered all
the 2016 data when I had the time.

   There's no particular advantage to keeping separate books when you have
sufficient disk space available and can specify date ranges for all reports.

Happy bookkeeping,

Rich