2.6.19: Accounts reconciled; trial balance has imbalance

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 15 08:54:09 EST 2018

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, John Ralls wrote:

> Is the trial balance report in balance on 1 Jan 2017?

John,

   Yes. Thank you for asking. Because I rarely look at the Accounts tab I was
unaware that the Imbalance account was directly accessible until Mike
pointed me to it

   Working from the Imbalance account allowed me to quickly put those amounts
back in the proper account, which is what I thought I had done at the time.
Somehow, I missed the proper slot and the amount fell in the crack.

   Now the book is balanced and every account reconciled.

   When I spoke Tuesday with my accountant (who, like me, is a sole
practitioner of professional services) I recommended she check out GnuCash
for her business and personal clients. She said she would look at the web
site, but this is tax season and she's working 7 days a week starting at
6:30 am, so I don't expect her to have time.

   I've used digital bookkeeping software since the mid-1980s (first on DOS,
then on linux) and had used GnuCash with Red Hat 4.0-7.0. Slackware back
then was very difficult to load all the gnome libraries in the proper
sequence and I gave up in frustration. It was only a couple of years ago
that the folks at SlackBuilds.org made GnuCash installation and upgrades as
easy as all other packages. GnuCash is the easiest, most useful bookkeeping
tool I've used. It supports my consulting practice as well as my personal
bookkeeping and, while it takes a bit to get used to exactly how to run it,
it Just Works. Knowing now about the Imbalance account will allow me to
quickly correct any other mistakes.

   This past Tuesday it took me only about 5 minutes to prepare the balance
sheet, income statement (P&L), and trial balance for both business and
personal finances and send them (with digital copies of each month's bank
statements) to her. Wow! Quick and painless.

   You may quote me on this and add my appreciation for all the work you devs
do.

Best regards,

Rich