trial balance - how to find mismatch question

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 14:27:17 EST 2018

I don’t perform a close-books operation so I never bothered with this report. On a whim I ran it to see what would happen. I’m pretty careful about all of my transactions. Each of them self-balances and my imbalance and orphan accounts are empty.

Yet, sure enough, the Trial Balance has $111.59 too much in debits. An even amount might clue me into a duplicate somewhere, but an odd amount has me stumped. (even with a duplicate, wouldn’t the credits also be duplicated?)

Time to play the narrow down the date range game I suppose.

Elmar,

Reduce your ending date so the range is half of what it was. Re-run the report. Is it sill out of balance? Keep doing this till you get a balance, then set that ending date to a new start date, and start working forwards till you get out of balance again. This will help you narrow down where on the calendar the error occurred.

Regards,
Adrien