How to account for a house purchase

Ronal B Morse ron at morsehouse.com
Sat Feb 17 12:01:02 EST 2018

That's what I did. I also had to set up a corresponding liability
account for the mortgage, but that's a separate issue.

I wasn't sure if I should use the purchase price or the appraised value
as the value of the asset, but since I do everything else on a cash
basis, I decided to use the cash price.  That does have some impact on
net worth calculations, but I'll live with that.

RBM