How to account for a house purchase

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Feb 17 12:53:03 EST 2018

Ron,

You made the right choice. Barring a price-to-market accounting requirement that never applies to individuals, the book value is what you actually paid. When you get around to selling you’ll get taxed on the difference between the net selling price and that purchase price.

If you want to see the “funny money” of market value you can create a “house” security and make Assets:House contain one of them, purchased at the price on the contract. Then you can get updated market price estimates and put them in the pricedb. The supposed market value will then show up on the Accounts page and in various reports.

Regards,
John Ralls