variable scheduled date

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 23 16:51:04 EST 2018

On 02/23/2018 01:51 PM, Dave H wrote:
> Hi Jean-David,
>
> Yes version 2.4.15 was released just over 4 years / 20 versions ago so
> I'm not surprised you're missing out on a lot of the good stuff :-)
>
> I'm sure there must be ways of updating to a later version even on
> RedHat just like I have already done on Ubuntu.
>
> I see epel list an srpm for gnucash 2.6.18-1 under both
> http://download3.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/7/SRPMS/Packages/g/
> and http://download3.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/7Server/SRPMS/Packages/g/ so
> I'm surprised you can't upgrade to at least that version ?

I cannot just upgrade a single package. To do that, I would have to go
through hell to get all the required libraries. I have done that in the
past: NEVER AGAIN! It took me several weeks to make some package work
that way. I think it was VLC. For that, I had to install 26 other
packages, and finding just the exact version of each took over a week.

I would have to upgrade my system from RHEL6 to RHEL7, and doing that
takes about a month of aggravation to get everything configured
correctly again. That is why I skip every other upgrade. Red Hat support
their releases for 10 years.

Also, I do not want to bother compiling from source.

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 16:40:01 up 29 days, 5:37, 2 users, load average: 4.45, 4.58, 4.72