variable scheduled date

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 24 08:45:51 EST 2018

On 02/23/2018 06:40 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> I am lost in this thread.  I thought that the point of Linux was to use
> RPMs to do the dirty work of installing the software.  In fedora that would
> be "yum install gnucash".  Are you saying that does not work?
>
> David C

Yes, it would not work because the server that would respond to yum is
the one Red Hat maintains to support (in my case) RHEL6. Were I running
RHEL7, it would get things from that. But in either case, Red Hat do not
support Gnucash (and do not support VLC), so I would need to download
the rpms from elsewhere. And it is not that easy because the rpm's will
not install unless all the dependencies are already there. And to get
them is almost impossible for most things.

When I downloaded VLC, for example, I needed a few libraries. I found
and downloaded some of those. They wanted more. Some of them needed
other libraries and they did not exist. So I had to get rid of some and
get other versions of those, and so on. It took over a week to get VLC
to work. And I was trying to install VLC because some other video player
(and mp3 player) stopped working.

The only way I got GnuCash to work is that it is not quite as
complicated as VLC, and the EPEL project has Gnucash in it. They do not
upgrade it though. They have a version that works, and that is that. The
EPEL for Gnucash in RHEL7 will not install in RHEL6, and I am not
prepared to upgrade my RHEL6 system just to get the latest Gnucash.
(Even were I to do that, there is no reason to believe that that version
of Gnucash would be the latest, though I suspect it would be more up to
date than what I now have.)

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 08:35:01 up 29 days, 21:32, 2 users, load average: 4.64, 4.60, 4.37