variable scheduled date

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 26 08:29:15 EST 2018

Adrien,

Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at gmail.com> writes:

> True, the version in EPEL7 is 2.6.18, one version back, soon to be two
> versions back.
>
> I too was wondering the issue, now I see that essentially, nothing
> ever gets back-ported for RHEL, so newer RPMs can’t pull in
> dependencies because they don’t exist in the older repositories. They
> can provide 10 years of support, because it’s essentially frozen.
>
> Your experience and explanation makes me glad I never tried RHEL.

RHEL is a great server platform.
It SUCKS as a desktop platform.
I would question why Jean-David chose it for a desktop, because it's
really not designed for that.  It is designed for long-term stability,
which is exactly counter to being able to frequently upgrade to new
software.

Besides, who keeps (desktop) computers for 10 years?  I refresh my
laptop every 3.