General Ledger

Dale Alspach alspachde at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 11:20:44 EST 2018

The reference I have distinguishes journal from ledger based on entry
time and purpose. A journal is a historical record of first entry of
complete transactions (splits, notes, etc.). A ledger is a final or
secondary record of changes to an account.

The term general journal seems to have two uses. In a small business
every transaction would be entered in time order in the general journal.
In a larger enterprise there may be many special journals (sales,
purchases, etc.) and the general journal would be for entries not in a
special journal.

As Michael Novak pointed out these notions originate in paper accounting
and for small business and personal accounting may not have much use.
With an electronic system such as gnucash and only one book the system
is ledger oriented. One can see the journal entries affecting one
account by selecting Transaction Journal under View. The General Ledger
under Tools shows what is like a journal except that some history is
lost because the entries may be changed without the use of a correcting
journal entry. With that in mind and the distinction noted above, this
seems to be a general ledger rather than a general journal unless one
uses strict accounting practice (once a transaction is entered it is
forever; the effect is changed by a new correcting transaction.) Some
transaction oriented systems have an audit trail which is equivalent to
a general journal.

Dale