Manually entering historic records

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 00:20:54 EST 2018

Location of that preference must be OS specific. On Mac it is in File > Properties. This is a window of Book preferences. (as apposed to application preferences)

Setting it to “0” turns off the read-only function.

I don’t ever recall messing with this. I just happened to look it up after reading this thread and find it set this way.

I’ve never had a transaction complain that it was read only so I had no idea what the hoopla was about. (there’s at least one if not two other current threads on this general subject)

I have no intentions of changing this setting. I get that I should do correcting transactions as proper procedure, but I’m still working out my account scheme and revise and refine it from time to time and I’d hate to have to muck about with read-only issues. I also think correcting entries are for more formal systems with controls in place. For me, I only need a correcting entry if something turns out not to be correct. But if I entered something tentatively not quite sure it was right to begin with, I’ll just edit it when I confirm the proper values.

Certainly, if you’re still learning GnuCash and getting your feet wet with proper accounting or trying to get your imported books straight, turn this off by setting it to zero(“0”) and be done with it.

Regards,
Adrien