Double Entry of Informal "Loan" & Repayment

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 00:42:49 EST 2018

Keith,

Similar to what Mike and other’s described here, I use an asset account for this.

I have an Assets > Current Assets > Reimbursements account (with sub accounts for friends and family members whom I regularly share expenses with, usually for gifts) that I use in these cases.

An example is my siblings and I get one large gift for Christmas for each parent. One person does the paying and we all pay them back. If I do the paying, I make an entry like this:

Dr. Expenses > Gifts > Christmas
Dr. Assets > Current Assets > Reimbursements > Sibling 1
Dr. Assets > Current Assets > Reimbursements > Sibling 2
Dr. Assets > Current Assets > Reimbursements > Sibling etc. (I have 5!)
	Cr. Assets > Cash

That way, over the course of time, I can see how much each sibling owes me for various gifts and track how and as they pay me back.

If one of THEM pays and I owe them for something, I’d record it like so:

Dr. Expenses > Gifts > Christmas (or whatever)
	Cr. Assets > Current Assets > Reimbursements > Sibling(whomever paid)

Sometimes, we don’t even exchange cash, I just keep track of the back and forth and we only pay up if lots of time goes by or someone asks to settle up.  I’ll also use these accounts for other one-off occasions that don’t fit other purposes. (Like, “Hey can you spot me a beer and I’ll catch you next weekend?” sort of thing)

Now, if someone gives you money in ADVANCE, that is really a liability you should balance against the monetary asset, but I like to keep everything in one place, so I’d just credit the reimbursement account rather than add the liability layer to the situation. That way, my current assets don’t change on net. I don’t mind if such accounts have a credit balance as that just gives me an at-a-glance look as to if they owe me or I owe them. (since assets are normally a debit balance when positive, if they show a credit or negative balance, that means I owe someone - technically a liability, but this keeps me from having to maintain two accounts for essentially the same function)

Regards,
Adrien