Messed up file names

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 04:27:39 EST 2018

On 20 January 2018 at 02:24, Gerald Mathias <mathias at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> My thanks to Derek Atkins for some good pointers (and thank you, too, Bert
> Riding). I'm not sure whether I will finally be able to digest the
> suggestions sufficiently.
>
> Derek said, "On November 15 at 16:19 you made some changes to the file,
> which generated the log file mygnucash.gnucash.20171115161913.log and a
> backup file mygnucash.gnucash.20171115161913.gnucash  (which does not
> appear in your listing, but must exist somewhere)."
>
> Maybe somewhere, but as of today, not in /Finances/mygnucash. I did a
> search and came up empty.
>
> I always open gnucash by clicking its icon in Applications > Office >. I
> use Ubuntu 16.04.) That icon has been there since I installed the program,
> and I don't know yet how to control what it opens. Maybe when I do the
> "Save to" bit, but you suggest I save that for after fixing everything
> else.

When you open gnucash by clicking the icon it will open whatever file you
had open last. If you use Save As to save it as a new name then the file
that is open is the the one with the new name, so if you close GC and
reopen it later then it will open the saved as one, not the original.  Also
if you open GC by clicking on a gnucash file or if you open a file by using
File > Open inside GC then that file becomes the current one, so again if
you close GC and reopen it then it will open that file rather than any
other file you previously had open.  It displays the name of the file in
the title bar so you can always see which file you have open.

> I have dozens of normal-name .log and .gnucash files from 16 Oct to 15 Nov,
> then nine double-dates from 31 Dec to 09 Jan. After that, loads of files
> "Date Modified" 14 Jan, single-dated from 20171229 to 20180111, but out of
> order. Includes one simple mygnucash.gnucash. The last three on 14 Jan are
> double-dates, and those 20171115s continue through 19 Jan (today, although
> I haven't actually make any gnucash entries today).
>

> I've been reading how to restore, including the references you provided,
> but I won't try until I can see my way past a "warning" or two.

If, by restore, you mean open a different file then use File > Open in GC.
Then once you are happy that you have the current file open use File > Save
As to save it with an appropriate name and then it should re-open that one
in future.  Keep an eye on the name in the title bar if ever you are
concerned about which file you have open.

Colin