New File Name ??

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 09:51:18 EST 2018

On 24 January 2018 at 13:57, Mike Stillingfleet <
mikestillingfleet at fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have just noticed (after doing a lot of work on GNU Cash) that the file
> name has changed. I now have a file  call Bank Expenses.gnucash.
>
> When I click on file I see my old file name as "2" and the new file new as
> "1".
>
> I didn't ever request a new file name.
>

> Where did this new file name come from???
>
> When I clicked on file 2 the screen went gray and said it was an unsaved
> file and the reconiliation dates do not match. i.e. vast amount of work
> missing from my old file.
>
> Can some one explain this. Can some please tell me how I should proceed
> without losing all my work!!

If the new file has the correct data then open open it and select File >
Save As to save it as another new name, then you can carry on using it
while you try to understand where it came from.

If you do a full directory listing of the folder then you will also see all
the backup files with embedded timestamps in the name and should be able to
work out what happened.

When you clicked on file 2 and it says it was unsaved are you sure it was
not saying that you had made just made a change to file 1 (possibly via a
scheduled transaction) and that it was warning you that you were switching
files without saving the work?

Colin