info about action field in double-line view

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jan 25 03:20:14 EST 2018

Op woensdag 24 januari 2018 23:14:29 CET schreef Tommy Trussell:
> Geert:
>
> Maybe the legacy register code cannot handle icons, but instead of using a
> letter such as "F", can it handle Unicode glyphs?
>
> Here are a few of many available glyphs (including example URLs in case
> they get mangled in email):
>
>  📎 paperclip http://graphemica.com/%F0%9F%93%8E
>
>  🔗 link symbol http://graphemica.com/%F0%9F%94%97
>
>  📁 file folder http://graphemica.com/%F0%9F%93%81
>
>  💾 floppy disk http://graphemica.com/%F0%9F%92%BE
>
>  📌 pushpin http://graphemica.com/%F0%9F%93%8C
>
>  ✓check mark http://graphemica.com/%E2%9C%93
>
>  📃 page with curl http://graphemica.com/%F0%9F%93%83
>
>  🗑 wastebasket http://graphemica.com/%F0%9F%97%91
>
>  ⛔ no entry http://graphemica.com/%E2%9B%94

Hi Tommy,

That's a neat idea! I didn't think of this at all.

Text is rendered by the gtk default rendering code, which appears to handle
unicode glyphs just fine. I have just copy-pasted the paperclip glyph above in
a register in gnucash 2.6.19 (!) and it is rendered correctly.

The only reservation I'd have is we don't control the user's default/preferred
system font. If the chosen font doesn't have the chosen glyphs, the field
would display a "glyph-not-found" character. I have no idea what glyphs the
default fonts on the various platforms we support provide. That would need
some experimentation first.

Geert