info about action field in double-line view

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:36:02 EST 2018

The letter c is applied to transaction splits by GnuCash either when the
user imports a transaction from a QIF, OFX or QFX file that was probably
downloaded over the Internet from a banking website or manually by clicking
in the appropriate box.  This is interpreted to mean that the information
in that split line of that account register of the data file matches the
information from the bank.  Arguably, it would probably be better to have
separate indicators for these two distinctly different actions.

That is not the same as the R applied by GnuCash from a Reconciliation,
where the user is verifying that his data records match those from whatever
independent source he chooses.  Historically, the independent source was
the checkbook register, but now it is probably a combination of memory and
whatever receipts the user has kept.  The R indicator cannot be manually
applied to a transaction split line.

There is no requirement that the user even consider using these
indicators.  Many users, myself included, never reconcile income or
expenses or any other accounts except bank and investment accounts.

As to your cherry-picking to make the balance work out, are you referring
to making a reconciliation balance work out?  That would be little
different than comparing a manually recorded checkbook register to a bank
statement.  You still need to 'remember' that credit card or debit card
purchase that you forgot to record or to notice that there was an
unauthorized charge to your account.  This is your opportunity to discover
fraudulent use of your account.

To your last point, the Num field can contain whatever information that you
choose to put there, period.

David C