info about action field in double-line view

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:36:26 EST 2018

Here's the workflow that I ideally go through.

During the month, I order something online using a credit card.

When I enter the transaction into GnuCash, the split associated with the
transaction in the credit card account is tagged "n".

The next day, I check my online banking, and I see that the credit card
company considers the transaction "pending". I leave it tagged as "n".
The next day, I check again, and now the transaction is charged against my
account, and is no longer "pending". I tag the entry in GnuCash as "c",
cleared.

At the end of the month, I receive my statement, and I run the
"reconciliation" process in GnuCash. GnuCash automatically cherry-picks
"cleared" transactions for me, and I look for any discrepancy (transactions
that haven't cleared, or transactions on the card I don't have recorded,
etc). When I am satisfied that all is well, I tell GnuCash that the
reconciliation is complete, and it marks the reconciled transactions as
"r". In the future, when you go to reconcile the next month, it won't
consider the ones already reconciled.

GnuCash also shows multiple balances for an account: a current balance, a
future balance, a reconciled balance, and a cleared balance. At any given
time, the "cleared balance" should match match what the online banking says
it should be, the "reconciled balance" matches your last statement balance.