Merging Files or Other Method getting Transactions into main File.

Matt Graham matt_graham2001 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 17:02:32 EST 2018

Hi Mike,

So if I understand correctly from looking through the email chains:

  1.  You had everything entered into the mobile app
  2.  You exported from the mobile app and hit the bug where splits lose their values in the export
  3.  You imported all the transactions into GNUCash desktop in a new file (so get the splits, but no values) then painfully went through and entered all the transaction amounts for the splits
  4.  You tried exporting from Gnucash desktop in a variety of formats and importing back into your main file, and it didn’t work. So you are now re-entering all of those transactions manually into your main file.... That is incredibly painful.

Is all of this correct?

To try to save you a lot of painful hours of concentration, and assuming my above is correct, my questions are:

  1.  Is this the kind of data that you are willing/able to send to one of us so that we can see what the outputs are ourselves? (probably the qif export from the desktop gnucash). Obviously, don’t post it to gnucash-user because then the world will have it online. Usually this is not an option for people, but if it is then it could really help the troubleshooting. Export/import qif from gnucash has always been really good for me.
  2.  If that is not an option, when you exported from Gnucash desktop in qif format. What do you see when you open the file in Wordpad or Notepad (I’m assuming you use windows)? It will be a large file, with lots of text, but it would give us clues as to what is going wrong.

Thanks and regards,

Matt