Please remove me from the mailing list

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Tue Jan 30 22:28:08 EST 2018

My favourite was a mailing list some years back which, when receiving
"list-unsubscribe" in the body of the email, would literally subscribe
the email address to a "list-unsubscribe" mailing list, which would
send the messages of those attempting to unsubscribe to each other.
But not to the list or the admins.

This was pure evil.

I don't suppose it can hurt to add yet another explicit section
(perhaps "How Remove Oneself From This Mailing List"?).  Mailing lists
are not intuitive for most people (me included).  But as already said,
no one at gnucash.org can give advice or instructions for any service
other than gnucash.org.

Or, perhaps, create a new list:

gnucash-unsubscribe

Just kidding.  Or, perhaps not; if gnucash-unsubscribe would send
nothing more than an automated reply with instructions, and then
unsubscribe the email address from itself, that might work.

But that seems needlessly complicated, and doesn't something like that
happen anyway if you fill out the "unsubscribe or edit options" box
at:

I have never tried it.  Is there an auto reply when users try to
unsubscribe?  Does it mention that the use must also unsubscribe
separately at any mailing list reflectors such as Nabble?
"unsubscribe" usually generates an auto reply, but I don't know if
Mailman let's you edit that template.

By the way, if you search for the term "unsubscribe" on the list using
Google or Pipermail, it gives you (of course) a vast number of
results, because "unsubscribe" appears in the footer of most of the
emails that go through the list:

<<

I don't know how you would make that more obvious, unless you were to
include an "Unsubscribe" button like MailChimp does.

Gordon