[GNC] Where is the theme selection in 3.x?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Jul 4 08:33:08 EDT 2018

Op woensdag 4 juli 2018 13:56:36 CEST schreef Thomas Forrester:
> I think trying to make al the Windows users into programmers just so they
> can get a theme they like - something they always had in 2.x - is a crying
> shame.

Personally I think you're overreacting here. How many more serious
applications on Windows allow custom themes ? I don't think MS Office does,
nor LibreOffice, Firefox used to have something like personalities, but I
think they dropped that as well. And for sure *none* of the accounting
packages I have personally used on Windows (Winbooks, Expert M, Vero,
Popsy,...) did have anything like custom themes.

I agree it's unfortunate gnucash can't provide a nice gui for that at this
point and I understand very well the frustration of seeing a feature you
relied disappear.

> I've said it before, but I guess I'll say it again, I realize this
> application is developed primarily on Linux.  That's completely awesome,
> but like many other cross-platform applications, I suspect the installed
> base of Windows users may eclipse all others.  I've seen this before where
> the development platform takes second-fiddle to Windows as the most popular
> usage platform.  I'm not trying to create debate on what platform is good
> for what, but I do think it's important to maintain feature parity between
> platforms.  This theming issue on Windows should be addressed in an update
> soon.

So I'll repeat as well what I've said before: someone has to step in to
provide the code. The currently active developers are working on more serious
issues (program crashes, broken pre-existing functionality,...)

So as there are so many more Windows users than on other platforms: I'm
eagerly waiting for some of those Windows native users to care enough about
gnucash to actually want to help in coding Windows specific features. This is
a community project after all!

> That said, if it's as simple as getting some files, or adding a two-line
> file somewhere, please tell me where to go to get the files, where they
> need to be put, and what to put in a file.  A tutorial on how to manually
> theme GnuCash on Windows is better than no option at all.

That information is collected on this wiki page:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3

Regards,

Geert