[GNC] how to share style sheets between computers in GnuCash 3.1?

Mark Hedges mark.hedges at weirdvibe.com
Wed Jul 4 16:11:17 EDT 2018

Hi.

I store my v3.1 books in Google Drive.  I use the Backup & Sync plugin to
share them between different computers.  The plugin syncs a desktop folder
to Google Drive.  I use it like a normal file in Windows File Explorer.
When the file changes, it uploads or downloads the new version
automatically.

I created a style sheet on one computer using Edit > Style Sheets.
However, the style sheet does not appear when I open the book on another
computer.

I see some files in $HOME/.gnucash, like a file stylesheets-2.0.  That file
appears to only have default style sheets.

I see a .gcm file in .gnucash/books named for my book that was saved
recently, but not near the time I made the style sheet.  (On that note,
this also seems to have book-specific settings in it, including account
hierarchy ordering... why wouldn't this information be saved in the book's
XML file to remain portable?)

I can't find any files in .gnucash that were saved after the time I created
the style sheet, so I guess it is not stored there anymore after v.3.0.

Where are the stylesheets?  How do I make them portable between computers?

Here's my vote to make style sheets part of a book XML file so they go with
the book.

It would also be nice if book-specific style sheets could be exportable to
their own file to import them under a different book.

Also, the Help button under Edit > Style Sheets doesn't do anything.

Thanks.
Mark

--
Mark Hedges