[GNC] survey: unifying the appearance in different options dialogs

Di Mang di.mang.freetime at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 15:42:19 EDT 2018

Hi Adrien,
​
I have created a table that captures the current tab positions and the new
tab positions (after change MAX_TAB_COUNT) (see attachments).​
​We can achieve a consistent appearance of all reports​ if we will change
MAX_TAB_COUNT to 6:
* 6 and less tabs: appearance at the top position
* 7 and more tabs: appearance on left-side position.
​​

>:

> Di Mang,
>
> I have no preference for either top or left-side tabs, as long as they are
> consistent across the application. However, I
> ​​
> can see that changing the main app preferences to top tabs might be
> cumbersome as there are so many. Therefore, if a delineation were made that
> ‘preference panes’ use left-side tabs, and ‘report-options’ used top-tabs,
> I think that would help to maintain functional consistency. App and file
> (book) preferences are something changed less often. Report Options might
> be adjusted frequently to generate different views of the same data.

The top-side version looks better with a small amount of tabs. All tabs
appereance at the top, and thus we have more place for different GUI
elements on the panel (more space in the width).

> The only other change visually I would think in order would be to style
> the report-options similar to the application preferences, by reversing the
> colors. (the main content area should be lighter colored, the tabs, darker)
> The styling change would make all preference/option dialogs consistent and
> easier to focus. With the present scheme, the tabs grab the user’s
> attention more than the options themselves. (I understand this wouldn’t
> hold up with any particular alternative gtk theme, but the default should
> look proper)

You are right, the dialogs "Edit>Preferences" and for example
"File>Import>Import QIF..." have tabs on the left side, but look very
differently. I think they are based on different GTK elements.