[GNC] Reports indentation

Nigel ndm.mackay at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:10:22 EDT 2018

I have looked for references to the problem via Google, but with no luck.

My problem is with indentation in reports with accounts that have
children. I feel that the parent should be indented further than the
children, to give the correct hierarchy. That way, the entries in a
column are the total of the entries in the column to the left
(children.) This makes it a lot easier to read. In a way, it also causes
display redundancy, where some values are displayed more than once.

Of course, there may be significant problems in implementing this.

I created a report with accounts that have children and children that
have children. Formatted with borders in Excel to help visualise the
situation. Sub-totals are switched off because they seem to cause even
more "redundancy." Any account with children is a placeholder.

Levels of Subaccounts is 4. This is what we get:
Revenues
Income 			R0,00
       Interest Income 			R0,00
       Other Income 			R0,00
       Sales 		R0,00
             Consignment 	R0,00
                   Consignment 	R0,00
             Core Business 	R0,00
                   Biltong 	R0,00
                   Miscellaneous 	R0,00
Total Revenue 				R0,00

This is not right. The sub-total Core-business should not be in the same
column as the children Biltong and Miscellaneous.

This is how it should look:
Revenues
Income 				R0,00
       Interest Income 			R0,00
       Other Income 			R0,00
       Sales 			R0,00
             Consignment 		R0,00
                   Consignment 	R0,00
             Core Business 		R0,00
                   Biltong 	R0,00
                   Miscellaneous 	R0,00
Total Revenue 					R0,00

Reducing Levels of Subaccounts to 3 you get:
Revenues
Income 			R0,00
       Interest Income 		R0,00
       Other Income 		R0,00
       Sales 		R0,00
             Consignment 	R0,00
             Core Business 	R0,00
Total Revenue 				R0,00

This is loss of one level of detail, which is correct.

At any time one can look down a column and see only valid entries, not a
total followed by what generated the total.

---