[GNC] Reports indentation

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Jul 19 17:57:32 EDT 2018

Even with your example, the Income and Sales amounts should be further to the right. I agree, child account amounts should be on the left and parents/subtotals/totals should be on the right.

Try this in your report options:

Set Parent Account Balances to ’Subtotal’
Set Parent Account Subtotals to ‘Do Not Show’

This will produce the following:

Revenues								R0,00
Income								R0,00
	Interest Income					R0,00
	Other Income					R0,00
	Sales						R0,00
		Consignment			R0,00
			Consignment	R0,00
		Core Business			R0,00
			Biltong		R0,00
			Miscellaneous	R0,00
Total Revenue								R0,00

This will give you all parent totals to the right of their children, however, you do get a duplication with the grand totals for each section (revenues, expenses)

If you chose to show subtotals, you’d get duplication there as well.

Personally, I prefer these settings:

Parent Account Balances to ‘Account Balance’
Parent Account Subtotals to ’Show Subtotals’

I also set Omit Zero Balance figures and Show Accounting Style Rules.

This produces the following:

Revenues
Income
	Interest Income					R0,00
	Other Income					R0,00
	Sales						R0,00
		Consignment
			Consignment	R0,00
		Total Consignment	-----	R0,00
		Core Business
			Biltong		R0,00
			Miscellaneous	R0,00
		Total Core Business	-----	R0,00
	Total Sales				-----	R0,00
Total Income						-----	R0,00
Total Revenue							-----	R0,00

The totals are always to the right of the children and are made more obvious with the lines. While there is duplication with the account names and subtotals, the subtotals stand out more and are easy to spot and read.

Note, I also dropped the total for revenue and expenses simply to reduce another instance of duplication as the revenue and expense accounts show their own subtotals already.

Regards,
Adrien