[GNC] Branch transit numbers

Robert Bell northwinds at rkbell.ca
Fri Jul 20 23:08:16 EDT 2018

Hello all. I am new so please bear with me. The problem. My local CIBC branch
closed. They suggested that I should just transfer my accounts to a branch
in Saskatoon, some 70 km away. I closed most of my accounts and went down
the road to a local credit union, 15 km away. However I did request that
they transfer my main bill paying account to Saskatoon since I didn't want
to have to go through the process of alerting both the depositors and the
payees to a different account.

As far as I can tell the transfer went well and the account does exist now
and the Saskatoon branch. However when I tried to implement my usual process
of downloading my account detail in Q FX format and using the import
function of Gnucash, my books would not recognize the Q FX file.

After thinking about it a bit it occurred to me that the probable cause of
the glitch was that the bank transit numbers between my old branch and the
new branch would be different. I contacted the CIBC helpline and after
getting through many levels I finally encountered an honest lady who said
that it would be the transit numbers in the Q FX header that was likely the
problem. She said the bank offered no solution.

So here I am. I think that the solution may be fairly simple. I need to
somehow tell Gnucash that from here on when I import to that account it
should expect the new transit number. So friends, is this a possible hack?

Bob