[GNC] Payroll add-on, module, software?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 27 09:56:26 EDT 2018

Adrien,

Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> writes:

> It strikes me as the problem is being overthought.
>
> If a spreadsheet can handle the calculations, it can’t be that complicated.

The spreadsheet can handle the calculations for single entity, which
most likely is dealing with a single "type" of job in a single
jurisdiction.

Anything GnuCash implements would need to be more generic, because it
would need to support different jurisdictions that have different
rules.  The goal, IMHO, would be to capture the set of rules and then
allow local configuration to apply those rules to your specific needs.

For example, rules might be taxable vs non-taxable..  Or taxable by some
entities but not others (already adding complexity)..  Or taxable up to
a limit (yet another complexity)..

> If a spreadsheet can handle creating the proper csv for export and
> then import into gnucash, again, it can’t be that complicated.

Again, I suspect the spreadsheet is dealing with one specific locale.  I
can easily create a spreadsheet for my specific needs here in Fulton
County, Georgia, USA.  But those would differ from someone in, say, New
York City... or Boston, Massachusetts... or Toronto, Canada... or
London, UK.

> The complications are jurisdictional and apply BEFORE any transaction
> entry in csv form is generated.

True.

> Maybe you accomplish this with a spreadsheet, maybe a python module or
> maybe even a webapp. The end result just needs to be a csv that can be
> imported into GnuCash.

That is certainly one approach -- an external program that generates
transactions to load into GnuCash (I would recommend QIF, not CSV).

> If you want to take it a step further, use the APIs to write the data
> and skip the csv step.
>
> I’d guess a plugin-module is possible, but it isn’t even
> necessary. I’d suspect plenty of people are using some combination (or
> other) solution that I’ve already mentioned. It’s just that they
> haven’t published it so no one knows about it. Someone out there is
> calculating payroll and automatically importing the resulting
> transaction to GnuCash, we just don’t know who they are or how they
> are going about it. (and perhaps their’s isn’t the best method even)

The calls for plug-ins that I hear are to get GnuCash to generate the
transaction information from the Gross payroll.