[GNC] What does this mean?

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 13:51:08 EDT 2018

Daniel,

> From: Daniel G Rodriguez <languagedan at gmail.com>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Bcc:
> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 23:42:48 +0800
> Subject: [GNC] What does this mean?
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to GnuCash. In the New Book Options dialog box, the tooltip for
> "Use Split Action Field for Number" says:
>
> "Check to have split action field used in registers for 'Num' field in
> place of transaction number; transaction number shown as 'T-Num' on second
> line of register. Has corresponding effect on business features, reporting
> and imports/exports."
>
> Does the first part of the phrase mean:
> 1. 'Num' field normally uses the transaction number?
> 2. 'Num' field can be used as the transaction number?
> 3. 'Num' field is usually used to enter a transaction number?
>
> I think it means #2, but want to be sure.
>
> Thanks
>
> --Daniel

Each transaction has data related to the whole transaction (like 'date' and
'transaction number') and data related to each split (like 'memo' and
'action') and there must be two or more splits that are the debits and
credits of the transaction.

The default is for 'transaction number' to be shown in the register as
'Num'. That means that if you look at a transaction in each of the two or
more registers that correspond to its splits, the 'Num' field in each
register will be the same. If you change it in one register, it will change
in the other(s).

If you check the option, 'action' is shown in the register as 'Num'. That
means that if you look at a transaction in each of the two or more
registers that correspond to its splits, the 'Num' field in each register
will be different. Only the 'Num' field of the register the transaction was
entered in will contain the entered number (or whatever was entered, since
it is not actually a number field). If you change the 'Num' field in one
register, it won't change in the others.

So the answer is 1.

If you come from Quicken, and are used to having the number field shown in
the register vary for each register, then selecting the option will make it
behave the way you are used to. The right choice for you depends on your
work practices around Gnucash and how you plan to use the 'Num' field.

Alex