[GNC] Stuck between versions

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Jul 29 22:18:44 EDT 2018

Thanks Marc,

I'll see if I can spot any problems. It helps to get feedback as we all
have systems with different sets of software and libraries installed
and widely varying levels of linux expertise, so instructions which
make sense to an experienced developer can be gobbledegook to a novice.
I don't claim to be in the former category, just a user with enough
knowledge to be dangerous.

It looks like you were building in /tmp  (mkdir /tmp/build-gnucash at
one point). I am not sure of the implications of that, but as it is a
system directory owned by root, it may cause issues with permissions. I
build googletest as a shared library in /usr/src and to do so I have to
prefix all cmake and make commands with sudo or open a shell as root in
/usr/src.

I normally build in a directory under my home directory, either in the
/home/<user>/Downloads or a /home/<user>/Appliactions directory where I
keep software I compile and install. That simplifies any permissions
issues. The sudo make install command installs it system wide for all
users.
A successful run of cmake looks something like this:

$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DWITH_PYTHON=ON ../
-- Using guile-2.0.x
-- Using guile SRFI-64
-- Checking for module 'gwengui-gtk3'
--   No package 'gwengui-gtk3' found
-- Checking for GTEST
-- Checking for GMOCK
-- Performing Test have_mod_mask
-- Performing Test have_mod_mask - Success
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/david/Applications/gnucash-
3.2/build

My cmake command is slightly different because I have a preference for
keeping my build directory in the gnucash-3.2 directory and I normally
install GnuCash to /usr/local.

Looking at the commands you used it looks as though your directory
structure is something like the following:

                      gnucash

                     gnucash-3.2

             -----------------------------
             |                            |
      gnucash sources                  build-gnucash-3.2

In this case ../gnucash-3.2 is not finding the top level CMakeLists.txt
 file in the gnucash-3.2 directory which sets it upfor configuring the
rest.

Try

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/.local ../

from the build-gnucash-3.2 with your existing directory structure.

This should instruct cmake to look for the toplevel CMakeLists.txt file
in the gnucash-3.2 directory which is where it resides. There is
another gnucash folder in the sources under gnucash-3.2 and cmake is
likely picking up the CMakeLists.txt file in that folder. cmake has a
nested list of CMakeLists.txt files at each level in the directory
structure that tells it what to do specifically with the files at that
level.

Hope this helps get you a fulll build

David