[GNC] Post invoice still wants to be paid

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jul 30 19:36:22 EDT 2018

Open the A/P Register (since you’re dealing with a bill) and choose Actions > View Lots.

In the window that comes up, your bills and payments will be in the right hand upper pane: Lots in this account. Sort them as desired, I tend to prefer by date descending. You’ll have a row for each bill, paid or not, (will list as ‘Open’) and a line for each unlinked payment, but that is normally unusual.

Select a bill in that pane.

You’ll see the original bill split plus any payment splits in the lower right pane: Splits in Lot.

Take special care to follow each lot and make sure you have the CORRECT payment splits associated with it. (likely, somewhere, you don’t, which is causing the problem)

Your dates on each split will be a helpful clue in addition to amounts and maybe even transaction numbers. (if used)

You might have to adjust several lots, all the way back to the open bill date in question re-assigning payments appropriately as you go. (select the errant payment split in the bottom right pane, click the << icon to move it out of the lot into the Splits Free pane, and then when you find the proper lot it belongs to, select it and click the >> button to move it into the right pane to re-link it to the currently viewed lot/bill.

You might have to fix these one bill at a time, close the lots window, double check everything and then view lots again. (time consuming, I know, but better to be careful than make more of a mess)

If you find a real duplicate split, you can probably delete it from the appropriate register, or use the delete button in the lots window, but I’ve never used it, I’ve only edited in the registers. If you edit a transaction from a register always do so from the ‘other’ account, NOT the A/P account register. (just to be safe)

If a previously single payment split got divided into multiple splits (as Gnucash auto-assigned it to cover outstanding bills) you can re-link each of them to the proper lot, then go into the ‘payment from' register, (NOT the A/P register) edit the first one to be the full amount and delete the other extra payment splits. Then double check by viewing lots again to make sure all is well.

If what should be a split payment is somehow listed as a single split instead of spread over several bills, you can fix that from the payment from register and use the ‘assign as payment’ right-click option for that split, be sure to choose all appropriate bills the split is paying and GnuCash should divide it up appropriately.

Let us know if you run into any problems.

Regards,
Adrien