[GNC] Payroll add-on, module, software.

Dr. Timothy B. Jones tbj at timothybjones.net
Mon Jul 30 22:50:09 EDT 2018

So many user comments, questions, suggestions, like the payroll add-on, want GnuCash to be something it’s not, and not be what makes it unique in the marketplace, and why I use it.  GnuCash is “accounting software.” It’s designed for people who understand accounting principles, the accounting equation and why double entry accounting IS the gold standard.  It’s not business software or a way for a business owner to have no accounting sense.  It won’t prevent you from making a stupid post or not being out of balance, all of which is expected of business software but inconsistent with true accounting software!  It is the only package that allows enough customization that the user can account for any scenario not possible with canned business software that wants to do everything for you....often incorrectly.  Payroll, inventory, fixed asset management are all subsidiary systems and easily accommodated with software for those purposes.  They are not “accounting” functions, rather just have posted results just like a receipt or a purchase would.  I love GnuCash because it is true to its purpose...an excellent set of books for accounting according to GAAP.  Please don’t try to be everything a business needs....it will sacrifice what is best about true accounting software like GnuCash. I’ve been in business almost 30 years, used a half dozen systems for my accounting, and GNuCash has hands down been the best.

Sermon over.  Just my two-cents.

Sent from my iPhone