[GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jun 7 11:01:45 EDT 2018

Op donderdag 7 juni 2018 16:48:11 CEST schreef Thomas Forrester:
> Hi Geert,
>
> The old saved-reports-2.4 file was found in the  %USER%\.gnucash folder.
> None of the 3.-variations you mention apply here.
>
> When I located the 2.4 file, I backed up the new 2.8 file to take it
> completely out of the picture, then copied the 2.4 file over to
> %APPDATA%\GnuCash
> to see what would happen.  If nothing, I figured I'd rename the file from
> 2.4 to 2.8, but it worked with the 2.4 name.  Is this alright?  Will it
> cause problems later?  Is there a better way?

No. That is what the migration should have done as well.

>  When I upgraded to 3.x,
> that is the environment it found itself upgrading.

Ok, do you think you could still find the trace file gnucash generated the
first time you started gnucash 3.x ? Where to find trace files is described
here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile

Secondly, the first time you ran gnucash 3.x did you get a pop up window
explaining you your metadata was being moved to a new location ?

And lastly, did you ever experiment with the 2.7 development series on your
current machine ?

> I'm slipping out of scope on the OP topic here, but (in the Windows
> environment, if that matters) what is the best practice for data storage?
> Am I setting myself up for problems using MySQL?  Has my use of MySQL
> contributed to the missing report situation on upgrade to 3.x?

Xml is still considered the most stable format in general. That is independent
of your OS. On the other hand the db formats are improving with each release.
We did find a few issues in gnucash 3.0 and 3.1 in this area. So be sure to
read the release notes for more details.

Regards

Geert