[GNC] Saved Report Configurations Missing After Upgrade to v3

Thomas Forrester tlforrester at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 07:50:13 EDT 2018

Hi Geert,

I located the trace files.  Not sure why, if they are such a valuable
diagnostic tool, that they are stored in the AppData Temp folder.  I also
found that every report I've looked at since upgrading to 3.x has a
corresponding html file in that Temp folder, too.  It might be worth
reconsidering the location for those files along with a retention
schedule.  But anyway...

Oh, and another suggestion - the trace file should have a version stamp,
not just a time stamp.  I can't really tell the exact point at which I
upgraded by just the time stamp.  I believe it was early in the day on
either Tuesday or Wednesday of this week, but a version stamp would
completely eliminate doubt.

I only have 13 trace files dated from 2018.06.04 to today, 2018.06.08.
These dates to include the upgrade from 2.?.19 to 3.0-118-gd2ef5fd0f+
(2018-04-28)

The vast majority of trace files only say:
* 05:58:17  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)

One of them pre-upgrade (I'm pretty sure) says:
* 06:30:48  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
* 06:31:40  WARN <Gtk> Could not find the icon 'gtk-file'. The 'hicolor'
theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

>From the morning of Wed 2018.06.06 which may be the time of upgrade:
* 06:25:32  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
* 06:44:17  WARN <gnc.core-utils> Could not locate file AUTHORS
* 06:44:17  WARN <gnc.core-utils> Could not locate file DOCUMENTERS
* 06:44:17  WARN <gnc.core-utils> Could not locate file LICENSE
* 07:07:15  CRIT <gnc.gui> [gnc_ui_file_access_response_cb()] Invalid
response

The very next trace file, after I accidentally left the program running all
day says:
* 10:36:13  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
* 18:45:07  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi>
[GncDbiSqlConnection::begin_transaction()] BEGIN transaction failed()
* 18:45:07  CRIT <gnc.backend.sql> [GncSqlBackend::commit()]
begin_transaction failed

The one that was apparently created just now when I started the program
says:
* 06:11:57  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
child process (No such file or directory)
* 06:15:05  CRIT <gnc.gui> [gnc_ui_file_access_response_cb()] Invalid
response

There was no popup about moving metadata following the upgrade.

I never experimented with the dev series.

I will re-check the release notes, but as I upgraded to 3.1.x, hopefully I
just skipped over any earlier 3.0 issues.

Thanks!