[GNC] Problems importing credit card transactions via CSV formatted file.

John Clark jeclark2006 at aim.com
Wed Jun 13 15:14:36 EDT 2018

One of the problems I’ve found with gnucash is in the area of importing CSV formatted transactions. I figured out how to do it reasonably well for my
bank statements, and now I’m turning my attention to my credit card accounts.

I’m trying to enter in data that spans several years, and I have a collection of CSV files. In most cases I don’t have the ability to go back and get
the data in a different format, such as some sort of Quicken file.

When I import the translations, I use the following selection for columns.

DATE, DESCRIPTION, DEPOSIT (or WITHDRAWAL, I’ve done both)

After the file has been processed, and the screen comes up to commit the transactions, there are lines that are Green and Yellow. Some have the “Liability:Credit Card:XXX” some have “unbalanced USD” designation.

But worse, there are some numbers that are negative, and some which are positive. And when I do import the results, the numbers, negative or positive, end up scattered between Payment and Credit columns.

Since I’m trying to import 100s of transactions it is very tedious to even think about going through each item and correcting the negative sign, etc.

Since there does not seem to be a ‘bulk’ process for selecting a large number of transactions and happing the same transaction assignment on all of the selected items, this is a major hiccup in
using gnucash for me.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

John Clark.