[GNC] Report updates

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Thu Jun 14 14:24:15 EDT 2018

What is the general policy on changes to reports?  Create a new one with
a new name or update the existing one?

My wife is an accountant and she liked the formatting of the Balance
Sheet eguile over the standard Balance Sheet report.  But she felt it
was too busy with the totals and sub-totals being annotated and was
horrified to find the Income Statement buried inside.  So, I have hacked
the code to enhance those two items.

As way of introduction, as I am new to this list.  I stated my I.T. life
as a COBOL developer for the first two decades (along with some hardware
specific other languages).  Then spent a decade as an Oracle DBA with
the final decade as an I.T. Development Manager with a couple of
development teams and a DBA in my group.  No, I don't know C or C++ nor
the language I hacked on while "fixing" the balance sheet (eguile)
report.  Nor have I used GIT.

Yes, I am retired (spent the last 12 months no touching any code
whatsoever) and I am open to being led by the hand if a developer would
be so kind as to guide this over-the-hill-old-dog!

And yes, I plan to hack the eguile version of the Balance Sheet to
create a more nicely formatted Income Statement.  So, again, is policy
to update the existing or create a new option on the report list?  [My
personal vote is to keep the list of options low and update existing --
but that's my background in software development].

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com