[GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Thu Jun 28 10:01:09 EDT 2018

On 6/28/2018 9:39 AM, D via gnucash-user wrote:

> Before you convert an existing parent account to a placeholder (by checking
> the placeholder checkbox in the Edit Account dialog), you will need to
> transfer any transactions into it to an appropriate child/sub-account. My
> experience is that a placeholder account can have in turn child accounts
> which are also placeholders as well as child active accounts, which is OK
> and makes sense.
In practice, you might better be doing this by a sequence of account
name changes. In my experience, the most common situation where an
account (with transactions) is becoming a parent is when it is observed
that NOW (the reason for the change) is that these transactions are of
two (or more) distinct types and so splitting into multiple accounts is
desired. But the NAME you want for the parent is that of the existing
account.

a) rename that account to its desired new name.
b) create a new account with the old name, making it a placeholder account.
c) make "a" a child of "b"
d)  create the other child account (or accounts)
e) optional --- move transactions here that are in the wrong child IF
you want to alter the past << I never do that >>

Michael