[GNC] Upgrading GC under Ubuntu

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Fri Jun 29 14:45:30 EDT 2018

It seems that GC is a very popular accounting program, and Ubuntu/Linux
is a very popular Operating System, yet when there is an upgrade in GC,
I cannot find a straightforward method of updating GC under Ubuntu/Linux.

I understand that there is a delay before the new version of GC is in
the Ubuntu Software download system.  That is internal to Ubuntu.  But
there are alternatives, such as an alternative repository and self
compiling.  Oh yes, what about pre-compiled binaries like Windows and Mac?

Each could have clear concise instructions on how to perform the task.

One could direct the user with specific commands to go th the repository
that gets the upgrade first.

A script could be written and published with copious comments, testing
for dependencies, loading them, doing a security check of the downloaded
files, compiling and testing.

Google has not turned out to be my friend, otherwise I would not be
writing this.  There are articles years old, no install scripts, no
suggestions of repositories with instructions.

Feel free to prove me wrong, I have spent a couple of hours searching
with many selected key words,

John