[GNC] How to regularly use two currencies

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Jun 30 06:56:45 EDT 2018

Hi Norbert,

While you seem to think you want to account in multiple currencies, your
replies so far all suggest you only want to track payments in multiple
currencies.

I read these requirements:
Quote 1:
"I have to know - at the end of the  day - how many US$, and how many Riel,
should be in the cash boxes."
Quote 2:
"But while I have to keep track of the actual cash in the cash boxes, at
certain times (daily, weekly, monthly etc.) I also need to know "how we did as
a business" and this should say something in US$ (for all the activities which
did happen in both currencies)."

So essentially this says you want to keep track of two cash boxes: one in US$
and one in Riel. Yet in the end you estimate your business in US$.

So your income and expense accounts should only exist in US$, while in your
assets you will can two cash accounts: one in US$ and one in Riel.

When a customer pays you in Riel, you make a transaction from your Riel cash
box account to your single income account (which is in US$) and apply the
exchange rate from Riel to US$ to that transaction. By default gnucash will
ask you for this exchange rate. If a customer pays in US$ you create a
transaction from your US$ cash box account to your income account. As the
currencies match there's no conversion rate to apply.

The same goes if you pay for expenses or goods to a supplier. If you pay in
Riel you create a transaction from the Riel cash box account to the
appropriate expense account (which is always in US$). If you pay in US$ the
money goes out of your US$ cash box account into the (same) US$ expense
account.

That will give you all the information you request:
Do you want to know what's in your cash boxes ? Check the appropriate cash box
account or generate a report over it.
Do you want to know how you did as a business ? Generate a report over your
income/expense accounts which are in US$.

Unless you have other requirements you didn't mention I don't think you need
the parent/multi-currency-subaccount structure in your income and expense
accounts as you have currently set up. And it will probably simplify your
accounting if you could do without.

Regards,

Geert