Gnucash Error "No Suitable backend was found for file..."

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Mar 5 10:49:44 EST 2018

Op maandag 5 maart 2018 16:25:28 CET schreef Osama Younis:
> No, the .gnucash file is not opeining ok, I got the error when I try to open
> it.
>
> I am not saving the .gnucash file in the same directory as the .gcm files,
> but still I can't manage to open the data file in order to run the "Save
> As...".
>
> Is it normal to have about 800 files of the type
> "accountname.gnucash.20180304110506" and
> "accountname.gnucash.20180304110505.gnucash" located in the same folder of
> the file "accountname.gnucash"?
>
> Regards,
> Osama.

It can be normal depending on how often you save (or autosave is enabled) and
how long you have configured to retain backup files.

Each file with the numbers and ending in .gnucash is a backup file. The
numbers represent the date and time the file backup was created. The files
just ending in numbers are log files and normally have the .log extension. If
you don't see it I presume you are one Windows and have it configured not to
list known extensions.

As Colin suggests, if you can't open your normal file, try to open one of the
backup files, from newest to oldest first. Once you get one to open, use save
as to rename it (removing the timestamp from the name).

>From that last known good backup you will have to redo your data entry until
where your PC crashed.

Good luck!

Geert