Check Printing Question **SOLVED**

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 18 04:02:52 EDT 2018

On 03/16/2018 08:29 AM, David Reiser wrote:

>> On Mar 16, 2018, at 9:10 AM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
>> <mailto:jridgley2 at austin.rr.com>> wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Top, Middle, and Bottom just tell gnucash whether to start printing
>>> 0, 1, or 2 x Height from the top of the page.
>>> Coupled with the “checks on the first page” option, you can tell
>>> gnucash exactly how to handle the first page of a multiple page check
>>> printing. If you select Middle position and 1 check on the first
>>> page, the first check is printed alone in the middle position of the
>>> first sheet, while all remaining pages contain 3 checks per page
>>> (since that’s the format you picked).
>>> I never intend to run a printed check back through a printer — too
>>> much chance to screw up and overprint an existing check. I’ve always
>>> removed printed checks from the last sheet out of the printer from
>>> any check printing session. So the next print job is always set to
>>> Top position, with Checks on First Page set to the number of blank
>>> checks available on the first sheet.
>>> I only print about 3 checks per year these days, but sometimes they
>>> all happen in the same print job.
>>> --
>>> David Reiser
>>> dbreiser at icloud.com <mailto:dbreiser at icloud.com>
>> Thanks, David
>>
>> Can you explain why the 3rd check prints on the remaining bottom STUB
>> but NOT on the 3rd check?
>>
>> I entered TOP for the first position and 3 for the number of checks on
>> the first page.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jay
>>
> I’m pretty sure that means that something about the check definition is
> causing gnucash to think that the middle check is encroaching on the
> bottom check, so when it increments vertical offset for the last check,
> it essentially creates a phantom 4th check position. Try reducing or
> increasing the Height parameter slightly and/or mess with the second
> Translation parameter (see what happens if you set Translation = 0.0;0.0
>
> I usually have to fine tune the wallet check definition every time I
> have new checks printed. The cheap check printers, especially, don’t put
> all three checks in the identical position from the perforations. The
> check definition ends up being a compromise on field location among the
> three checks.
>

> --
> David Reiser
> dbreiser at icloud.com <mailto:dbreiser at icloud.com>

David R., David C., Rick C.

cc: Greert

Thanks for the help...

Ran across an exchange back on May 21, 2016 that included a note from
Geert that stated that it (exact same problem as I was having) was
broken in 2.6.12 but fixed in 2.6.13.

I installed 2.6.17 (latest stable version). That fixed my problem!
The only change I had to make to the definition was to move the printed
date on the check right somewhat.

Happy camper now,
Jay
--